Sunday, May 23, 2010

Blue Parrot Bistro- Restaurant Review

I haven't posted a restaurant review for a while, since we ate at one of my favorite places in Gettysburg last night it's time for a review. The Blue Parrot is a bar/restaurant in downtown Gettysburg, and is a great choice for lunch or dinner. It's a small restaurant, therefore during tourist season you should make a reservation on Fridays and Saturdays. The tables are somewhat close together, so it's not a place to dine if you are looking for privacy, but it's certainly quaint and the historic building adds to the ambiance. It's my understanding the Parrot tries to use local produce and breads when available.

The lunch menu includes sandwiches, salads, a daily quiche, soups (the crab and french onion are both delish), lasagna, an open faced omelette, a panani special and my favorite the turkey quesadilla. Also, if you are looking for a light lunch, the humus, which is served with fresh veggies and pita chips is very good.

The dinner menu has daily appetizer and main course specials, in addition to the appetizers, soups, burgers, light entrees, and full dinners offered all the time. I've had several of the appetizers in the past, and my favorite is definitely the steamed clams, the white wine garlic sauce is probably the best I've had. While you only get a dozen, they are quite a treat. Last night after my clam appetizer, I had the salmon. The salmon is complemented nicely by the sesame seed coating and the ginger lime sauce. The salmon is served with garlic mashed potatoes and a side salad (I recommend the raspberry vinaigrette dressing). Nate loves the prime rib at the Parrot, he raves about it every time he gets it. Our friend also had that prime rib last night and enjoyed it very much . Beware, if you order the prime rib the portion is huge. I don't really eat red meat but I do try bits of Nate's steaks. The prime rib at the Parrot is full of flavor, very tasty! My favorite entree at the Parrot was always the tuna, but I haven't seen it on the menu for a while, maybe they don't serve it anymore? The Parrot offers a decent election of beers and has a smaller wine list. I believe they are one of the few bars in Gettysburg that serves 3 olives vodka, always a plus in my book (when I can drink). For dessert, Nate has a hard time leaving without having the tiramisu. I'm not a huge fan of tiramisu but it is quite tasty at the Parrot and doesn't overwhelm you with the taste of liquor or coffee. For drinks, lunch or dinner the Parrot is one of my local favorites:)

No comments:

Post a Comment