Monday, April 11, 2011

Charleston, SC

 I always blog about places that I visit but I've been neglectful in posting about Charleston, SC.  I recently spent a long weekend in this charming southern town.  We stayed outside of the city in Mt. Pleasant at the Charleston Harbor Resort.  The hotel was located along the Charleston Harbor, which also housed a marina. From the marina visitors could take a water taxi to Charleston's downtown.   We watched several dolphins in the harbor from the marina docks, as they played close to the shore. The resort was really nice with chic rooms that were decorated with southern charm.  From our balcony we had a great view of the bridge which was the site for the Cooper River Bridge 10K Run. The run attracted 40,000 plus runners on Saturday.   We could also see Fort Sumter in the distance.  Fort Sumter is marking the 150th anniversary of the civil war tomorrow. The hotel had a great pool area and also a very spacious area with lots of sand and palm trees, perfect for relaxing.  The staff at the hotel was excellent and very helpful.  A trolly ran from the hotel every hour to the downtown area and was free of charge.   I can't comment much on the historical or "touristy" activities because we didn't partake in these.  I also can't really comment on the restaurant scene because this wasn't the focus of our trip either.  I saw many impressive restaurant menus during my research and I believe the city is known for it's dining.  Next time I'm in town I'll definitely be sampling more lowcountry food.  I can say that Pogans Porch (awesome food and 1/2 price mimosas on Sunday) and Charleston Cafe both have great breakfasts/brunches.  Anyway, a few pics from my trip.


Charleston Harbor Resort- highly recommend! 




Downtown Charleston.  Very quaint and free of skyscapers:)


Horses/donkeys and carriages were everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment