Saturday, July 10, 2010

Volt Restaurant Review

Volt is located in downtown Frederick, MD. The restaurant has won numerous awards, including being named to the 100 Best list by the Washington Times. The executive chef is Bryan Voltaggio, whose resume is quite impressive including training at one of the top culinary schools in the U.S. and working in numerous high end restaurants in the U.S. and France. He grew up in Frederick County and therefore chose to open his restaurant in downtown Frederick. My Aunt became aware of the restaurant through watching Top Chef, which is what prompted us to make reservations.

We went to Volt for lunch on Saturday and had the 3 course price fixed lunch. Although on the outside the restaurant appears old and historic, on the inside it has been modernized and decorated with trendy colors and furniture. We were seated in the main dining room, where the tables are close together. If you are going for a special occasion and want privacy you will need to request a table that accommodates this, as most would not. We were seated promptly and greeted by one of the many servers who took care of us throughout lunch. The servers were very knowledgeable and explained all of the food, how it was prepared, etc. We both had the ravioli to start with which other diners were describing as "it makes me cry a little inside." The ravioli was somewhat tangy, yet creamy inside. I thought the ravioli was very good but after seeing the vegetable plate I wished I would have ordered it instead. We were also provided with bread-sticks and rolls to start. Next, for our main course, Tammy had the pork which was tender and juicy. It was served with potatoes and lima beans. I had the roasted chicken, this dish was also well prepared and full of flavor. The chicken was served with assorted vegetables which were fresh and tasty. Last but not least, dessert. I had the cheesecake and cherry sorbet. The cheesecake was absolutely delicious, so creamy and melted in my mouth, but the serving was tiny. Tammy had the flavors of chocolate which was a large portion of very smooth chocolate with a thick moose-like texture and served with a little bit of gelato and cocoa. I liked the chocolate dessert as well, but would probably still order the cheesecake if choosing again.

All of the food that we ate and saw others eating was meticulously prepared and presented very elegantly. It can definitely be described as "fancy" food but it didn't have odd flavors or combinations and when reading the menu I could actually understand what was being offered. Further, with the exception of the cheesecake, portions were generous and we left with our bellies full. I would go back to Volt again for a special occasion and when I could have some wine:). Next time, I might enjoy sitting the in the room where you can watch the food being prepared. I should mention that if you want try this restaurant you need to plan well in advance, as it is constantly booked full. I'd make your reservations a month or two in advance of when you want to go, unless you are able to go on a week night then you might be able to get in quicker.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of the food. Everything really was a work of art, but all I have to show you is dessert.

Cheesecake with cherry gelato.

Flavors of chocolate

No comments:

Post a Comment