Friday, June 26, 2009

Local Strawberries

I love seeing the signs for local strawberries that pop up in June, it's a sure sign that summer is here. There's not much that tastes better than fresh strawberries. My two favorite recipes with strawberries are Strawberry Salad and Strawberry Pie. In case you'd like to try them:

Strawberry Salad
1/2 bag spinach
1/2 bag red lettuce
1 quart strawberries sliced
1/2 cup red onion (I always put less though)
Toss together the above

Dressing for salad:
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp vinegar
2 Tsp poppy seeds
Mix above together and refrigerate several hours before serving, pour over salad just before serving.

Other toppings that taste yummy in this as well: grilled chicken, feta cheese, walnuts.

Strawberry Pie
I always use a graham cracker crust because that's what I prefer. I know some in my family prefer an oil crust, which is similar to regular pie crust but more flaky.

Fill pie crust with sliced strawberries
Other ingredients
1 1/3 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs cornstarch
3 oz box strawberry jello (I use sugar free...I think the kind w/ sugar would make this recipe too sweet)
Directions: In saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch and jello. Add water. Bring to a boil stirring constantly until thickened. Pour over strawberries, chill until firm.

What are your favorite strawberry recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment